Recycled crocheted mat... finished!!


This week, I finally finished working on my recycled crocheted mat, which has been sitting underneath my craft table for a long time...

For how long this *unfinished project* was sitting around... I wasn't exactly sure.  But after going through a list of my previous blog posts, I realized that I began this making this item in June of 2010... which means it took me more than a year to complete this simple mat!!  I don't even know why it took me so long to finish this, but I'm so glad that I was finally able to finish it after all these months... :P


This recycled crocheted mat is made of old sheets, our kids' used clothing, and various fabric scraps I had in my hand.   To crochet this mat, first I simply made several of these fabric yarn balls by hand stripping recycled fabrics.  It's really an  eco-friendly way to recycle unused fabrics and clothing around our house (which we happen to have so much!)



Work in progress...



Here's a close up of the crocheted mat.  I tried to make this mat using pinks and blues, but I guess I ended up using some navy, greens, and even yellows...




It's really comfy to put your bare feet on this recycled crocheted mat, especially during the hot summer days.  I decided to use this one as our kitchen mat.



But I need more than one mat in our kitchen, so I shall start making another one like this soon... and

this time, I wish I can finish it sooner... We'll see :D





6 comments:

cocostitch said...

Wow!このリサイクルマット、覚えていますよ!! その後、どうなったのかなぁ~なんて思っていたところです。
最後まで頑張りましたね。
とても良く出来ています。丈夫そうだし洗濯にもガンガン耐えそうですね!
Good Job!

MomWaldsPlace said...

Great matt!

I have started saving "recycled" yarn in color groups. Whenever I get enough of a bunch I like, a matt will be made from what would have otherwise gone in the garbage.

People need to learn that "upcycling" does not mean decorating your house with cut up plastic bottles. Thanks for your great, colorful matt!

PY said...

Oh! Amy, this one is very nice. I love it so much.
I hope to try crocheting a rectangular shape one like this soon.

Pitsimiinin Laura said...

This crocheted mat
is adorable, I like!
Sweet recycled idé : )

Z said...

What a great idea.

I saw this done on one of those knitting shows I watch..I think on Knitting Daily.

I think this is really, really a good idea.

Glad to see it can actually be done in the real world.

Unknown said...

Thank you, ladies, for your lovely comments about my recycled crocheted mat!!

As cocostitch mentioned (thank you!) the best thing about this mat is that not only it is made of upcycled materials, it can be machine washed and dried, which is a must for kitchen mats :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails