Halloween sewing (little cat)


Yesterday (Friday) was the Halloween costume parade at our girls' elementary school and this outfit is what I sewed up for my 8 year old daughter earlier this week... a little cat.

Instead of buying materials and supplies, I searched around our house and found useful stuff and refurbished them to make this one.

For instance, I used this hand-me-down black t-shirt for the top.


First, I cut two strips of leopard print fleece from my stash and quickly serged one side with the rolled hem function.



Then, I made ruffles using big stitches (by hand) on the opposite side of the strip and then sewed the ruffles on to the neck area with my hand again. (I couldn't use my sewing machine because the fleece ruffles were too bulky). I made two of these ruffles.



Double ruffles completed.


Then, I cut out three pieces of the same leopard print fleece to make a skirt.
Just like the ruffles, I serged the skirt hem with the rolled hem function.

For the skirt back, I made sure to cut the center in half to place the "cat's tail".

 This furry thing is used for the "tail".


The furry "tail" is sewn between the back skirt panels.


After sewing together all skirt panels, I folded the waist area in double for the elastic to go through.

 




With this cat head band (a store bought item from a few years back)...


Little cat costume is complete!


I think the best part of this costume is that it can be worn to school even after the Halloween.  (Only if I don't forget to remove the tail from the back skirt :P)


Our third grader at the school costume parade... She was a happy little cat!


Besides this little cat costume, I had sewn another costume earlier this week (for my ten year old), which I plan to post here soon...

Meanwhile, I hope you all have a happy and safe Halloween!!




1 comment:

PY said...

Amy, good job ! You are very creative !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails